Bringing together Yakima's city and rural libraries proved to be a very successful strategy. Services provided by the combined library system, known as Yakima Valley Regional Library, were so popular that library headquarters had outgrown the Yakima Carnegie building by the mid-1950's. The Board of Trustees and library administrators began planning for the next phase of growth - replacing the Carnegie building. Follow the links below to learn what it took to design the new building, find the money and get approval for the project, move out of the Carnegie for demolition, and finally, move into the modern, new Yakima Valley Regional Library headquarters.
|January 30, 1955||Report showing growth of the library 1950 - 1954||YVRL Report|
|September 25, 1957||Yakima Sunday Herald|
|November 6, 1957||YVRL document|
|July 24, 1958||YVRL document|
|January 6, 1959||Yakima Daily Republic|
|January 11, 1959||YVRL Report|
|January 11, 1959||Yakima Daily Republic|
|January 11, 1959||Yakima Sunday Herald|
|1959||1959 report to the community with information on how the regional library operated, the services provided, and service locations.||YVRL Report|
January 11, 1959
You have been viewing historical documents from Yakima Valley Libraries' Local History Digital Collection. Find these documents and many more similar items in the online catalog.